Cutthroat Troutthe greenback subspecies named official state fish of Colorado in 1994The Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki) deserves to be state fish, as it is the only trout that is native
27 Of The 100 Best Places To Work In US Are In Colorado
Nearly a third of the 100 best places to work in the United States are in Colorado, according to Outside magazine.Half of the top 10 are here, including No. 1 GroundFloor Media and No. 2 Zen Planner LLC.The magazine has released its annual ranking of the 100 best companies. With the help of the Outdoor Industry Association and Best Companies Group, Outside considered companies with at least 15 employees working in an office in the United States. The magazine spent a year putting its list together. Employees of participating companies filled out confidential surveys to help determine their ranking.Colorado has 27 companies on this year's list. The 2012 list included 19 Colorado companies. Fourteen from last year's list remain on the latest ranking.Laura Love, founder and president of Denver-based GroundFloor Media,a public relations agency, said she was shocked her company was ranked first in the nation. The company offers employee perks designed to encourage an active lifestyle, which is the focus of Outside magazine. Employees are given an annual wellness allowance to use for such expenses as gym membership or to buy a bicycle."We try to create an environment that has led to our having a zero-percent turnover rate," Love said, adding that her company hasn't had an employee quit in three years.GroundFloor Media has become a fixture in the Denver Business Journal's annual ranking of the best places to work. In November, GroundFloor Media was ranked the second-best place to work in metro Denver."It's nice to be recognized at a national level as well as at a local level," Love said.
The 27 Colorado companies on Outside's list employ a combined 3,943 people. The largest is No. 90 Aspen Skiing Co., with 919 employees.
Here's how all the Colorado companies on the magazine's list ranked, along with their headquarters city and in parentheses where they were on last year's list:
1. GroundFloor Media, Denver
2. Zen Planner, Highlands Ranch
4. ReadyTalk, Denver (No. 1)
8. Blue Tent Marketing, Carbondale (No. 7)
9. Gnip, Boulder14. TrackVia, Denver (No. 22)
17. New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins (No. 5)
19. Human Movement LLC, Louisville
21. TrainingPeaks, Lafayette (No. 33)
24. Rally Software Development Corp., Boulder (No. 24)
29. Orbotix, Boulder33. Boa Technology Inc., Denver (No. 60)
42. Spyderco Inc., Golden (No. 39)44. Pellucid Analytics, Boulder
48. Natural Habitat Adventures, Boulder (No. 2)
62. Sterling-Rice Group, Boulder (No. 90)
63. Namaste Solar, Boulder
72. Honey Stinger, Steamboat Springs
77. Rocky Mountain Institute, Boulder
82. Backbone Media, Carbondale (No. 56)
84. Leisure Trends Group LLC, Boulder (No. 42)
86. SmartWool, Steamboat Springs (No. 95)
89. Mercury Payment Systems, Denver
90. Aspen Skiing, Aspen (No. 80)
94. Spectra Logic, Boulder
99. Big Agnes LLC, Steamboat Springs
Pete Khanna, CEO of TrackVia, a software company, said he "couldn't be more proud for having been recognized as one of the best places to work in the country two years running." Among the perks TrackVia offers employees is what it calls a "personal passion scholarship," which is much as $500 a year for an employee to pursue a passion outside the office.Outside judged TrackVia to have one of the best perks: unlimited vacation, "so it's common to see employees taking extended vacations or one-off days to rest, relax, and enjoy the outdoors."
Marc Blitstein has been a licensed Real Estate Agent since 2004. Real estate experience has been in employee relocation, residential property, short sales, investment property, and bank owned property....