I grew up in a charming handcrafted home on 35th in the West Highlands. Built in 1922 by the owner of a local lumber yard. It seemed like every house in the neighborhood was
5 Easy Ways To Add Color To Your Home
There are few things in the world that annoy me more than walking into a home with all white carpets, white tile, white furniture, and white walls. It makes me feel like i'm walking into either (a) a psychiatric ward, or (b) a home that has never been actually lived in. Never fear though, there are simple ways to add a touch of color to your home to make it more inviting, warmer, and more comfortable without breaking the budget or ending up with a purple house.
1. A Backsplash- these nifty tile pieces go behind your sink in the kitchen and are a great way to add a little bit of color and sass to your kitchen.
2. Paint the walls- I know, it's daunting and there's a lot of choices- but there's a lot of people and equipment that can help! Choose a color that is still fairly neutral if you're new to the idea, or go bold with stripes or paint the top and bottom two different colors and add a chair railing! Painting gives you the most possibilities in terms of texture, color, and style. You can paint just one and have an accent or paint the whole room for an all around color.
3. Paint the furniture- particularly if your furniture is large and leans against the walls, this can help calm down a room from hot white if you're unwilling or unable to paint the walls( particularly good for apartment living or leasing). Here's a handy- dandy video to show you how to do it.
4. Add wall decals- these are particularly great for kids rooms or other areas that may change often, as these vinyl stick-on wall decals are easy and don't hurt the walls but do add a nice touch. you can have them be simple - like a row of flowers - or have them custom made and filled with your favorite quotes, family pictures, or anything your heart desires.
5. Paint the door - I love brightly painted front doors, but it didn't occur to me to paint inside doors until last spring when a friend of mine let her daughter paint her door bright pink! I thought it was absolutely fabulous and could work for kids rooms, closets, laundry rooms, or the inside side of the front door! If you're not really into the idea of your kids painting their doors crazy colors, consider painting just the edge of the door.